Lou Gehrig's Disease
2013-10-18 23:59:34
Lou Gehrig’s disease
rate this


comment

Lou Gehrig’s disease, also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a disease that affects the motor nervous system of the body. In the disease, the patient slowly loses all control on the body’s motor activities. The disease can cause weakness among muscles because of the degeneration of the various motor neurons. The weakness occurs in the muscles and muscles are wasted away. This disease cannot be cured; it can only be slowed down or to a certain extent stopped for the some duration of time. The cure for this disease has not been found, and it is advisable not to fall for any posts online or miracle medicine advertisements that one might come across.

 

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a disease wherein the muscles slowly lose power and some of the basic functions that define human nature slowly get destroyed. This occurrence of this disease is quite common in the world population and no real cure breakthrough has been made yet.

 

In the US, about 5,600 people are diagnosed with the disease each year. Researchers have not been able to find the exact reason behind the disease, but it is said that due to accumulation of radicals (free radicals that circulate in the body) in the body, certain enzymes do not function properly and the effects are ALS.

 

The progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis can be either slow or Fast. People with the slow progression can live up to 10 years.

Symptoms

The initial effects or the initial symptoms of the disease are the obvious muscle weakness, twitching, cramping, stiffness of affected muscles e.g. in an arm or leg, slurred speech. A few of the patients suffer dementia, called front temporal dementia. The brain is generally spared though. The basic sense of the human body remains unaffected generally. However, the swallowing motion is affected with progression of time. The disease affects individuals between the age of 40 and 60, though it can affect earlier too. The disease is generally inherited in 90% of the cases and the other 10% cases because of other reasons.

Management of Lou Gehrig’s disease

As said before the disease does not have any permanent cure, but it can be slowed down or the symptoms can be controlled using natural remedies, herbs and other medicines. The principle of natural treatment is based upon the use of medicine that can control or stop the nerve damage in the body. Some of these herbs are given underneath:

Use of spices:

Certain spices that are extracted from herbs and plants can help to counteract the degeneration of the muscles. These spices are Cayenne, Cinnamon, Ginger, periwinkle and chaparral. You can sprinkle these spices on to the food. These spices can help in slowing down the muscular degeneration.

Use of herbs:

Herbs such as Kava kava, passionflower, lady’s slipper, blue VERVAIN, VALERIAN root can be used. It can be sprinkled or taken in the form of tea. These herbs help in repairing the nerves to an extent.

Kava kava:

Kava kava is commonly available herb. It also numbs the areas when consumed. It could help reduce the pain.

Passionflower:

Passionflower leaves and roots have been used for a long time by some of the Native Americans. It can be used in the form of tea. It also can be used to treat the insomnia and digestion problems that one might face with the disease.

Lady’s slipper:

Lady’s slipper is a kind of orchid that can also be used to beautify your home. It can help in rejuvenation of the exhausted nervous system and help in controlling some of the twitching in muscles.

VALERIAN root:

VALERIAN root is a Sedative and can help alleviate the pain. It also aids in holding back the degeneration of nerve cells.

 

Blue VERVAIN can be used to treat cramps. ALS might be an incurable disease but it can definitely be taken in a positive way and life can be made worth living. 

comment be the first to comment